Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Go Blue!

Labor Day evening, and we had just arrived in my new city.  I had unpacked my "new" car (hereafter referred to by her name, Mary Ann, in deference to my mom who lovingly owned this car for the past 7 years before selling it to me) after she had made the challenging trek up and through the grapevine while loaded up with my most expensive electronics and live plants.

We were taking a stroll up El Centro Ave (don't be deceived by the name, it's a small street) when some woman walking her dog said "Go Blue!" to me as she walked by.  I was caught off guard, having forgotten that I was wearing my "Michigan Alumni" t-shirt and having only heard something along the lines of "Yo you!"  My boyfriend immediately ribbed me for not acknowledging the support I'd just gotten from one of my new neighbors, and, when I realized what I'd failed to understand moments earlier, I turned around and thanked her and responded with my own, now sadly behind-the-times "Go Blue!"

I don't believe in omens.  Looking for the universe to give us "signs" as to whether today or tomorrow will be better or worse than yesterday is time spent that could otherwise have been dedicated to far more useful exploits.  That said, I did appreciate the unexpected welcome to my new city, literally within the hour of my arrival.

Oh, and come to find out that there's a giant bar literally one mile from my new apartment that is the Michigan sports bar.  As you might expect, that bar is at the top of my list of places to visit!

1 comment:

  1. We must've had the same idea but I havent updated in awhile .. http://citygirlinarualtown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete