Wednesday, November 3, 2010

In-between jobs

Perhaps the biggest challenge in moving to a new city has been finding work.  And it's not even just that I don't yet have gainful employment, but that I also have very few elements of a routine - something that I took for granted before moving here.  I have always been very involved, had lots of people to spend time with, and any number of activities on my plate, and now that I'm in a new city a lot of that has changed.

As you probably know from personal experience, being unemployed is tough.  To make matters worse for me, I was told just a couple weeks ago that the job that I'd been promised before I moved here, that I understood would start in late October, has no funding.  So now I am doing everything I can to change that situation for the better.

In keeping with that effort, I'm putting this out there, in case someone is reading this and has any ideas or people they would be willing to connect me with as I continue to get settled in my new home:

I'm looking for work.

I've got my resume and bio up on my fairly barebones website.  Every day I'm applying for a new job.  And although the job market sucks and looking for work is a trying experience, as my boyfriend encourages me to do every day, I'm focusing on the positive.

I've had a number of meetings with different movers and shakers in the Los Angeles area, all of whom have been incredibly friendly and helpful.  I've been looking into consulting opportunities and trying to find opportunities to provide financial, analytical and communications contractual services.  I've already had a preliminary job interview this week for an opportunity about which I'm very very excited.  And I've even been reaching out to organizations that are doing work that I care about so that I can plug into different volunteer opportunities, since those are another way to get involved, create a routine, and meet other people with similar interests.

That said, I am still [very much] in-between jobs.

So...  I'm asking for your help.  If you know of someone in Los Angeles who you think would be good for me to talk to.  If you've heard about an opportunity you think is worth exploring.  If you think there is some organization or two that I ought to check out.  Please tell me.

My resume and bio explain a lot about me.  My passions are building community, empowering people out of power, truly understanding key issues (i.e. knowing the second, third, fourth, etc. layer beneath the public story about any issue), developing sustainable transportation systems and land use patterns, providing high quality education to all people, and providing equal rights to the disenfranchised.  My background is policy and financial analysis, with a focus on local government and nonprofits.  I love working on teams, and thrive in an environment where people are encouraged to speak their minds so that everyone can learn from each other.

My email is lukehklipp [at] gmail [dot] com.  You can find me on Facebook.  You can check out my website.  Please let me know if you have ideas to share.

Thank you!

PS - I will get back to sharing about my experiences in Los Angeles shortly.  Frankly, it was around the time that I learned that I didn't have this previously-promised job opportunity that my blogging petered out, as a lot of my time has since been dedicated to my job search.  That said, I continue to have any number of experiences that I would love to share, and will share... soon.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment