Wednesday, September 14, 2011

One year... already?

It's hard to believe, but it was just over one year ago that I moved to Los Angeles.  One year in, and here are a bunch of random observations that I wanted to share with y'all:
  • Sunshine and warm 80% of the time isn't so bad after all.
  • There are a lot of people here.  A lot.
  • I like being in a racially/ethnically/demographically mixed neighborhood - it feels more like an authentic American experience.
  • Not sure why I feared driving, because now I love it.
  • The Hollywood Bowl is hands down my favorite place to see a show.
  • LA is a lot more densely populated than anyone gives it credit for - and yet it is still spread out just as much as everyone complains that it is.
  • The majority of people are either working in "the entertainment business" or something connected to it.
  • Any time of day, in any coffee shop anywhere in the city there will always be people buying coffee - where are they coming from?  Don't they have jobs?
  • There's tons of great places to hike all within a short distance.
  • I can afford living here, and I don't feel perpetually stressed out about my finances or rent or any of that.
  • Hosting trivia two nights a week is a bit tiring but a hell of a lot of fun.
  • I've made some great friends in the first year.
  • Moving here is one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  • It's both unsettling and kinda revealing to be surrounded by so many pretty people.
  • I don't speak Spanish.
  • I love showing my new home to friends - especially friends who have bad experiences of this city before coming to visit (this is true of many people, go figure).
  • I've seen a few celebrities out and about, but far fewer than one would expect given that I live in Hollywood.
  • The Hollywood sign is fun to look at - a great way to orient myself to where I am.
  • I love my boyfriend.
  • It's great having my own kitchen, especially since I love baking cookies.
  • Putt putt golfing on an 85 degree day for my mid-January birthday is quite fun.
  • I hate helicopters.
  • I really hate smog - something I see far more often than I'd like and far less often than I expected.
  • There are a lot of trees.
  • Palm trees are like living fireworks, but their detritus is far more dangerous.
  • People are very upbeat - perhaps it's the sunshine?
Yeah, that's just a short list.  :-)   In the past month, I started a new job and added a trivia night to my regimen to make it two nights a week.  Life is good.  I am happy, and I owe no small part of that happiness to my decision to take a risk and move to this crazy city to be near my boyfriend and try my hand at new things.  So far, it has paid off in ways I never could expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment